Sam is committed to providing quality instruction to small groups of divers that wish to improve their skills and/or move on to higher levels of training.
- M.S. in Natural Resources with a specialization in geospatial science, The University of New Hampshire, Durham, New Hampshire, May 2012 Thesis: “Using Landsat 5 TM Data to Identify and Map Areas of Mangrove in Tulum, Quintana Roo, Mexico”
- B.A. in International Studies (Minor: History) The University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont, March 1991
Summary of Diving Experience
- Over 3,000 dives (1,500 in the overhead cave environment)
- I was certified open water in 1985, and became a diving instructor and was certified as a cave diver in 1994. I lived full time in Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula for 16 years from 1994-2009 and have just relocated back to the area. I am active in exploration, conservation and education issues about the cenotes and underground rivers in the Yucatan Peninsula.
- GUE Fundamentals Instructor
- GUE Tech 2
- GUE Cave 2
- PADI Master SCUBA Diver Trainer
- PADI EFR Instructor
- PADI Emergency Oxygen Provider Instructor
- Nautical Archeology Society Level One
- Lake Champlain Maritime Museum Archaeology Field School 2012
Dive Community Involvement
- Founding member of Grupo de Exploración Ox Bel Ha
- Founding member of CINDAQ A.C.
- Mexico Cave Exploration Project Core Member
- Hoyo Negro Project Team Diver
- Fellow of the Explorers Club of New York since 2000
- Veterans Issues, PTSD, Therapeutic Adventure
- Remote Sensing of the Environment
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Mobile GIS
- Public Safety Diving
- Underwater Survey
- Scientific Diving
- Exploration, Conservation and Education as it relates to the cenotes and underground rivers
Collins, S. V., Reinhardt, E. G., Werner, C. L., Le Maillot, C., Devos, F., & Meacham, S. S. (2015). Regional response of the coastal aquifer to Hurricane Ingrid and sedimentation flux in the Yax Chen cave system (Ox Bel Ha) Yucatan, Mexico. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 438, 226-238.
Rotenberg, J. A., Marlin, J., Meacham, S., & Tolfree, S (2009). An integrated community-based harpy eagle and avian conservation program for the Maya Mountains Massif, Belize. In Proceedings of the Fourth International Partners in Flight Conference (pp. 493-507). Vancouver, BC, USA: Tundra to Tropics.
Meacham S., F. Devos, C. Le Maillot, D. Riordan, 2008-2009, Ox Bel Ha Water Protection Project, Sian Ka’an 2008-2009, Final Report presented to The Nature Conservancy, The National Geographic Society and The Waitt Foundation.
Meacham, S.. Holliday L., L. Marin, and H. Vaux, Editors, 2007, Sustainable Management of Groundwater in Mexico: Proceedings of a Workshop (Series: Strengthening Science-Based Decision Making in Developing Countries), National Research Council, The National Academies Press: Freshwater Resources in the Yucatan Peninsula pp. 6-12.
Meacham S., F. Devos, C. Le Maillot, D. Riordan, 2006-2007, Ox Bel Ha Water Protection Project, Sian Ka’an 2005-2006, Final Report presented to The Nature Conservancy
Meacham, S., Jade Pearl Exploration Project, Ox Bel Ha, 2005, Association for Mexican Cave Studies Activities Newsletter, Number 28
BBC Natural History Unit, Upcoming documentary series on Mexico, assistant to cameraman, on screen talent, 2016
National Geographic/PBS Nova Documentary on the Hoyo Negro project, assistant to cameraman, logistics, 2014
National Geographic/PBS Nova, ‘Strange Days on Planet Earth, Dirty Secrets’, on screen talent, 2007
Sea Studios Production, ‘Coral Connections’, on screen talent, 2007
CNN International with Becky Anderson, ‘The Spirit of Nature’, on screen talent, 2006
BBC Natural History Unit/NHK/Discovery Channel, ‘Planet Earth: Caves’, on screen talent, assistant to cameraman, assistant to DP, underwater lighting, 2005
BBC2, The Natural World: ‘Secrets of the Maya Underworld’, on screen talent, assistant to cameraman, assistant to DP, underwater lighting, 2004